It is uncommon to see a business that doesn’t have a website. Sadly, many websites are obviously thrown together by someone who has never created a website before. To make a true online presence a website needs to be attractive and easy to use. For those who have never designed a site before, achieving a high-quality website is easier when left to a professional. San Diego is home to some of the most talented web development teams and web designers in the country.
Rules for Choosing the Right Web Designer
There are many web designers out there, making selecting one a bit challenging. Designing a website is not an easy process, so it’s smart to ensure a web designer is knowledgeable and creative. Here are a few tips for choosing the best web designer to meet a business’s specific needs.
Design and Knowledge
- When looking at a web designer’s portfolio, ensure that the designs have certain qualities:
- Functionality: is the design user-friendly?
- Are the designs clean or cluttered?
- Have they worked with similar businesses before?
- Some businesses need to increase their conversion rates. Is this designer qualified to handle this?
- Are the designs featured in the portfolio still being used by the companies?
- Have they ever worked with branding?
The Designer’s Personality
- When talking to the web designer about what is needed for a website, is he or she responsive with positive ideas?
- Do they listen to instructions?
- Are they willing to do exactly what is needed instead of what they think is best?
- Personality conflicts can happen anywhere. Sometimes personalities and styles don’t mesh, so don’t worry about going a different direction.
- Ask about total costs upfront. This way there are no surprises when the bill comes due.
- Unless a company owner plans to do the website maintenance or changes, this service should be discussed as well.
- Some companies offer servicing packages, so make sure to ask about this during the consultation.
- When setting up a contract, it’s wise to look over the fine print for any extra fees.
- Ensure that the contract includes the entire length of the project and not a numeric period of time. Revisions are expected and should be included with a project.
- Company owners should make sure that ownership or licensing rights for the website go to them and not the designer.
Website designers are very resourceful when creating eye-catching pages. They are often trained on how to make content convert, utilizing SEO optimization, and making pages predictive for visitors. If someone isn’t sure how to go about creating their own site, it’s usually best to consult a professional. San Diego has excellent web design and web development services available.